It Happens

by The Momma on October 13, 2010

Before you become a parent, I don’t think you have any REAL idea how much poop will invade your lives.

I mean, you may know, intellectually, that there’s a lot of poop with a baby/toddler. But what you probably AREN’T prepared for is how much it becomes an actual topic of discussion. Maybe it’s because, in the early days in particular, poop is one of the few clues you have that everything is functioning well for the kiddo. I mean, it’s not like they’re able to say “hey pops, I’m hungry over here!” so you kind of go with the whole “output” thing. And in those early days, especially for first time parents, you’re bound to be nervous that everything is going ok. So you start talking about poop, and then BAM, it’s a year later and you’re still talking about poop.

You talk about how much, how little, the color, the consistency, and the changes in color and consistency. You talk about the various aromas (folks, put off introducing meats AS.LONG.AS.POSSIBLE. Also? Blueberries are surprisingly offensive).

And the shocking part is, you will have these discussions at any given time. You will talk about poop in the car, in bed, at the dinner table. You will discuss it with other parents even. Yes, even if you swear you won’t be THOSE parents…you will. I promise, you will talk about poop more than you ever expected, hoped or wished for yourself. The Daddy and I were so sure we wouldn’t let discussions of poop run amok in our house, but somehow it just happens.

So parents, don’t fight it. It’s an unwinnable battle. Instead, just go with it.

You know, cuz shit happens.

David B. October 15, 2010 at 11:46 am

Haha! I’m totally in for it in December. My wife and I are expecting a boy. Thanks on the tip about delaying the meat intro. Looks like my son will be a vegetarian, even if I’m not lol

The Daddy October 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

You’ll want to wait at least a little while before mixing it in the diet (unless you go strict vegetarian) because it can be hard on the kid’s stomach, plus the whole chewing thing. Mainly it’s the smell that will haunt your nightmares when you’re dealing with it later on the other end.

Kate @ ♥ Lililly October 15, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Seriously DELAY DELAY DELAY.
And if you can, make your own baby food out of mashed veggies, because poo after baby food from jars were stinktastrophy (I assume from the meat in them).

The Daddy October 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I make him fresh baby food pretty often. Luckily (for now) he’s past wanting super-mushy stuff, so he’ll go to town and chomp down on some soft whole cooked veggies. The jarred “dinners” that contain meat are a nightmare. “Spaghetti and Meatballs Dinner” my ass. It’s a bunch of runny disgusting crap. I’ll just make him fresh lasagna.

Kris October 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes. We talk about poop way more than I ever thought we would. And it doesn’t get better now that the kid is potty trained. She just added to poop conversations now. Last week, she even told a poop knock knock joke. It never ends.

Site looks awesome! Great job guys!!

The Momma October 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Oh, I’m sure as SOON as the Noodle can talk, poop will feature heavily in his vocab. I’m preparing myself now….

Elizabeth Flora Ross October 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Yes, I am amazed by the alarming number of my conversations that involve poop. Never did I imagine myself going, “Do you have to go poo poo? Do you want to go poo poo on the potty? Let’s go poo poo on the potty! That’s my big girl!”

And then, after I’ve been dealing with toddler poop and dog poop (I have to walk the little sucker and clean up after him), my husband feels the need to keep me abreast of his bowel activity as well. It never ends…

Love this blog! Happy to have connected w/you via Twitter! Hi! :)

The Daddy October 16, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I asked The Momma if she had to “go poo poo on the potty” one time. Just once. When I regained consciousness, I made a mental note that baby poo talk aimed at her was one of her dealbreakers.

Megan October 15, 2010 at 10:45 pm

This is so true. I certainly don’t fight it, but it is a little embarrassing when Chris doesn’t take into consideration who is around us or where we are and asks me “How was her poop?” when I return from discreetly changing her, or telling me about her poop if he was the one to change her.

There’s a time and a place, man. A time and a place.

The Momma October 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm

It’s so weird how that inhibition just…fades, once you’re living with the kid full time. I mean, we try to keep it down out in public, but I can guarantee we’ve had the conversation in full earshot of other people.

Kate @ ♥ Lililly October 15, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Seriously… So much talk about poo. I never thought I would be one of those parents. But I really really am.

Sigh.

Erin October 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Ted and I have only been parents for a few weeks, and we talk about poop non-stop. Breast milk poop cracks me up. Yellow and seedy? Why is it seedy? It’s not like there are little sesame seeds in my breast milk!

The Daddy October 17, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Oh man, tell me about the weird seedy breast milk poop. I just chalked it up to all the pure mustard seed The Momma was eating every few hours. I’m no scientist, but I firmly remember that it was smoothish liquid milk I was feeding The Knob, not some creepy sesame seede/stringy/milk suspension.