Where do NoodleKnobs come from?

by The Momma on October 10, 2010

Well, when two people love each other very much,  and there’s a little touching, a little feeling, and then a little somethin’ somethin’…. sometimes, just sometimes, a NoodleKnob is born as a result.

In this case, NoodleKnobs is the love child of N.C. Winters and Ginger from RambleRamble. Taking inspiration from our son Jackson (nicknamed, you guessed it, NoodleKnob), we wanted to create a place to talk about OUR experiences as parents, OUR challenges, and the things that make US laugh and groan and everything in between.

As we’ve experienced the ups and downs of our first year of parenting, we’ve come to find that while all parenting is based in common (or at least similar) experiences, not all parents are the same. Some are doting. Some are worry warts. Some are stereotypes. And some, like us, are a little…skewed. Shouldn’t be a surprise, really. You take two slightly skewed people and give them a kid, they don’t turn into sitcom mom and dad by the power of just having a fruit of their loins. No, skewed people who have kids become skewed parents. Slightly irreverent, inappropriate, indelicate, with a warped sense of humor, but with a munchkin they love and cherish.

We got tired of only seeming to see two tropes in popular parenting blogs: perfect families who have laugh-track lives or amazingly damaged families who have HBO dysfunctional lives. Our reality is somewhere in the middle. Some days, we look around and feel like aliens in this land of suburbia and parenting bliss. Some days we fit right in (well, at least until we start laughing behind closed doors).

Even just a year into this gig, we’ve found that parenting is one of the strangest, funnest, hardest, most rewarding jobs on the planet. As we’ve navigated the murky waters of parenthood, we’ve found that…holy shit, this gig is WEIRD! And that kiddo who we love beyond reason? He’s kinda weird too. The absurdity of parenting really knows no bounds.

We determined that we couldn’t be the only parents who fall between picture perfect and thoroughly damaged, and thus NoodleKnobs.com was born. We think there are more parents like us than are currently represented on the web, so hopefully you’ll recognize you and your little munchkin in the stories of us and ours. Some days we’ll focus on the good, and some days on the bad, but always the WTF and OMG moments of craziness, weirdness, and, oh yeah, love.

Perpetua October 15, 2010 at 9:58 am

This is great, you guys! Now I am waiting for a drawing of the Noodle! :)

Perpetua October 15, 2010 at 9:59 am

On the about page, I mean. I’m not a non-reading reader, swear! :)

The Momma October 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

Oooh, good point. We have one for the Twitter account, but I’ll add it on the about page.

Anubis October 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hey I’m just glad there are more people out there that have to fight back giggling when you kid falls down and its kinda well funny (if I’m the only person who does that then I accept I’m a horrible human being)

The Daddy October 16, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Not only do I laugh at him, I’ll often mock him openly in front of others and also, bring it up again later. We remind him often: if you don’t develop a sense of humor in this house, you’re not going to survive.

mommyshorts October 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

You are most definitely not the only skewed parent out there. Count my husband and me both as members. Although even within our skewed status, I’ve realized my husband and I aren’t exactly the same kind of parents either. But we both have a relaxed approach and don’t rush to shield our baby girl from danger every time she’s out of our iron grip. Sometimes this works and you find out she is more capable and more aware than you thought. Sometimes she ends up doing a flying leap from the bed and you almost have a heart attack. Either way, it’s all a learning process.

The Momma October 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Glad to find more members of the skewed parent tribe! Although, like you, my husband and I aren’t exactly the same–he’s a little more skewed than I am on most things ;-)

But we do try to be relaxed about lots of things. Not to say I can’t be neurotic about some stuff (the car seat for example), but overall, we try to go with the flow. You’re absolutely right, it’s SUCH a learning process!