Sleep, or lack thereof

by The Momma on February 16, 2011

Ahhh, sleep. The other thing parents can’t seem to talk about enough.

We’ve been lucky thus far as far as the Noodle’s sleep is concerned. Unless he’s teething or going through something specific, he sleeps pretty well. But damn when it’s not…man the diaper really hits the fan.

The Daddy and I start sniping at one another, both about sleep related things (“you’re walking too loudly” “turn the TV down” “you jinxed it, you get him!”) and non-sleep related things. I get stupider and stupider at work. The Daddy’s fuse gets shorter and shorter. The Noodle, well he just gets more punchy and a little less sure footed (poor guy, when he’s tired he’s a little like a drunk with no depth perception).

But what can you do, right? I mean, teething pain screws it all up. Developmental and growth spurts can mess with sleep too. So can sickness. It’s not like any of those things are helped by any “sleep training” that might or might not occur. Even an excellent sleeper can get thrown off by nature’s little bumps.

So you suck it up. You hoover caffeine like it’s air. You try not to mess up too badly at work or say something in a wave of exhaustion that you’ll regret later.

And you hope to hell that the sleep returns soon, before the whole world goes BOOM.

Brooke February 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

And you say, “You’re going to make mommy check into a nuthouse” about 40 times during the day.

Kellen didn’t sleep for the first year of his life, and my sleep is even more sacred now!

David B. February 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I gotta say I didn’t think I would be able to function without sleep. I was already a bit of a night owl, nothing got me ready for the interrupted sleep sessions. If I were to get 4-5 hours of sleep in a row, I’d be okay. At first at least, it seems like we were waking up every 2 hours.

I am surprised however how soon I adjusted and how functional I have been with such little sleep… maybe it’s all the caffeine I’m taking in. Sleep now has because WAY more valuable to me.

Thank god for day time baby, cause if it was just night time baby I think I’d go crazy! lol

TechyDad February 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Before our kids, I was a heavy sleeper. (There’s a story there about college and some roommates that either fell victim to this or tried to take advantage of this fact, but I won’t go into them here.) After our kids, I became a light sleeper. It didn’t help that NHL wouldn’t go to sleep if my wife rocked him. He would smell milk on her and decide that it was feeding time, not sleeping time. So every 1am wakeup call was mine to take care of. As well as the 2am, 3am, 3:30am, 3:37am, etc.

Sometimes, my boys seem to have sleep radar. They’ll be fast asleep but as soon as my head hits the pillow or as soon as I’m drifting off to sleep… One of my boys wakes up.

Since our boys sleep in the same room, if one is up we risk the other waking up. So a sick or otherwise awake kid will often wind up in our bed. Which, since my boys are bed hogs, means I’ll be sleeping on a sliver of bed without covers.

It’s amazing how little sleep you can function on…. *thud* *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Alexis February 17, 2011 at 4:48 am

Thankfully, both my girls were good night sleeper practically from birth. Napping? Yeah, we were not blessed in that way. No big deal really unless they quit sleeping at night, like now, because they both have raging URIs… For me is it has meant going on 4 days of never not having a child near me, on me or crying for me. Add in a lack of sleep and yeah, “grouchy” would be a polite way to put it. Remember when we we young and never wanted to sleep? Hang out until 2 am the go to class at 8am like it was no big thing? I am in bed by 9 and asleep by ten, at the latest. Parenting definitely makes you value your sleep so much more. So I am going to make my second pot of coffee for the day, I will pour some into the keyboard for you…that should work right?

jason deeds February 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Our little girl is going through teething right now. I personally am in a constant daze at work and at home. The Problem I deal with is trying not to feel guilty about taking a 30 minute nap or “daddy time” when I need it. I always feel like I need to be doing something especially laundry. We have an 11 year old 10 year old and 9 month old. The Laundry NEVER ends.

Do you ever get that feeling like you are never going to catch up on all the things at home that need to get done?

*holds up caffeine filled product*
Here’s to a moments rest or a lot more Caffeine.

Lex February 23, 2011 at 10:04 am

I have consumed so much caffeine over the last four years that I do believe my body has built up a tolerance to it. I guzzle several cans of Mountain Dew daily, hoping to hell that tonight will be the night that the nocturnal shenanigans finally end.