Still Learning To Speak.

by The Daddy on February 21, 2011

The Knob’s language skills are…well, nonexistent. He hasn’t made any words yet, but clearly understands several. While there have been several times where it seems like he’s starting to speak, so far it’s still gibberish.

Strange, strange gibberish.

We’re not terribly worried at the moment, but keeping an eye on the timing of his development, and of course over-thinking, over analyzing and over-obsessing about things that should run their natural course. Again, he understand several words and phrases, so we know his little squirrel brain is working. Looks like he’ll be letting us know when he’s ready to speak. If not though, the best college options may indeed become limited.

TechyDad February 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

You might want to enjoy these non-speaking moments. JSL had some speech issues. He would drop letter sounds seemingly-randomly making it impossible to figure out what he was saying. (You can imagine how frustrating this was to all involved.) Some speech therapy later and he’s not perfect, but we can understand him a lot more. And BOY can that three year old be RUDE! At times we wish that he was still saying “an at oy ow. gi i oo eee” instead of “want that toy NOW! Give it to meeee!”

The Daddy February 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I have a feeling everything’s gonna work out. I really don’t expect that he’ll never learn, but yeah is it frustrating at times. I (pre-emptively inserting my foot in my mouf) kind of already would rather deal with him talking too much or rudely than this non-talking. I am SO going to eat those words.

Jim "Genuine" Turner February 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I was just seeing this the other day in Daddy Daycare. The child was speaking Klingon the whole time! I knew my kids were speaking the same language a few times but the scary thing was I knew the words myself.

The Daddy February 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Years ago, before the offspring, I witnessed an interaction with mother and child in which clearly no human language was being spoken by the “child”. The mother appeared to understand, and responded in human English, to which the larva appeared to comprehend and continue the conversation, satisfied that communication was happening.
I was amazed and figured someday I would be in the place of the mother only you know, with testicles. Still can’t quite see it happening with the words, more from the kid’s intent than the language.

Lex February 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

I would freak out a little bit because my four-year old started speaking really early. (It was almost kind of scary.) This was not the case with my two year old, who would speak total gibberish despite understanding everything being said to her or about her, or about the damn cat, etc. Suddenly, the day after her second birthday she starting stringing two and three word sentences together like a boss (and thus, easing my troubled mind).

Your little one is probably devising a scheme to do the same thing — just when you get totally used to his little language he will one day wake up and ask you very clearly if he may consume breakfast before observing an animated feature on the entertainment apparatus in the living room.

The Daddy February 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is what I think will happen. Not so much as a way to wait until he can properly form sentences, more as a way to fuck with us. I already see this tendency to push our buttons even at this age.

I see him there…scheming.

Perpetua February 25, 2011 at 10:07 am

Okay, so you guys know that I am going through this with E right now. I have a lot of info I can share, if you think it would be helpful. But I don’t want to share if you think it would add to the worrying (I don’t think it will though).

Let me know and I’ll shoot you an email filled with “things we learned in a month of speech therapy” :)