Wonderpets? No…

by The Daddy on February 14, 2011

…more like WonderCRAP.

I loathe this show.

As we’ve discussed, there are plenty of kids’ shows that we tolerate as we’re clearly not the target audience. Others have been put on a short leash due to the absolute irritability factor. Dora the Explora and Fresh Beat Band are both on this list. But the Wonderpets? I don’t know if it’s the terrible songs or the bad kid-acting, but this show makes me want to punch a baby chick in the mouth. I’m not against kid acting as a premise, Olivia seems to do an excellent job in this regard. Also, Phineas and Ferb are FTW. But this show, the kids were clearly told to “act cuter” in an attempt to appeal to hoarders, 1 month olds and the criminally insane.

Not a fan.

Lex February 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

The Wonder Pets need to DIAF.

Cherie Beyond February 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Ha. This is actually the only show our three year old is allowed to watch and I kind of like it. I think it’s amusing and wholesome without being gag-inducing. We bastardize the theme song on a daily basis (“Sammy boy, Sammy boy, he’s on his way, to drool on Annabel and save the day…” is just one of many, many versions). That said, I totally see why it would make someone murderous. It has all the ingredients, just something about the good-natured humor beneath it makes it palatable for me.

The Daddy February 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Look, it’s definitely wholesome. It was on today and I gave it another go to make sure that I wasn’t being overly harsh.
I wasn’t being overly harsh.
I figured out that it’s the one kid- Ling Ling? Wing Wang? Whoever that has the affected “wisp”. That and the fact that EVERY show seems to be in this creepy monotone opera format. But I’ll definitely agree that there’s nothing inherently ill-subject about the themes.

shasta February 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

Is it a rule that every kids show must have at least one character with a lisp? Seriously, does anyone know? Even Sesame Street has Baby Bear who, God love him, just can’t seem to pronounce his Rs correctly.

clara February 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

By far not my *least* favourite but yes, that simpering, idiot duck. Hate. And I love ducks, normally. throw a duck in a show and I’m your girl.

There was an episode of Wonderpets that had faux-Beatles songs. And, wait, hear me out. It was SO MUCH BETTER because it was written Beatles style. And the people singing sounded like Beatles impersonators. To my mind, far more tolerable.

My advice is to control while you can. Before he can read. Steer him toward the DVDs you think *you’ll* like…record the shows you think *you’ll* like… the longer he goes without realizing The Doodlebops (might just be in Canada..lucky us) or Calliou *shiver* exist, the better.

clara February 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Also, it looks like your problem (from the comic) might be that you’re watching the shows too? DON’T. Show time is your time to do something else, maybe with earplugs in.

The Daddy February 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I do my fair share of multitiasking when the TV is on. I try to keep the TV off as much as possible, but after lunch, after he’s had some run around time and he’s starting to turn into…a jackass. That’s when I’ll bust it out, and I try to watch with him at times, so it isn’t just the thing that’s on when Daddy is doing other things. Plus, he’ll come and turn around and sit in my lap, and THAT shit is just way too awesome.

Perpetua February 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

You are going to hate me when I say that I don’t actually know what the Wonderpets are. What channel are they on? Wait, don’t answer that. But you’ve got me intrigued enough that I’m going to google it.

*goes to youtube*

Hold. The. Phone. That phone song is on everyday? This requires much drinking.

The Daddy February 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm

The first time I ever saw the show, I was all “oh, well that’s not a great song, but it’s fine for this episode about phones.” And then, every time I hear “the fone. the fone is wing-ing,” I want to tear out my own ear canals.

Alexis February 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

My girls freaking love that show. We have the stuffed animals, I had to make Cha Cha a cape with a huge “W” on it, and I have also promised to make Bitz one too since she cries when her turn to use it is over. I can stand it, but Ming Ming is clearly out of her league here and if it weren’t for Linny, they would all be dead in the water. Thankfully my kids share this view and all the “bad” stuff, like falling off our stairs, happens to the duck doll. That bit is kind of pleasing…

ABDPBT February 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Wonderpets is the WORST. And I say that with my full knowledge of the show entitled “Caillou” intact.

The Daddy February 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I (luckily) haven’t seen this Caillou show, but Wonderpets has my vote for the worst. The aforementioned monotone singsong melodrama theme also just turns the whole audio track into a wet bag of bland.

In my.
Humble.
Opinion.

angela taylor May 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Wonder Pets and Calliou are the worst shows on this planet and I forgot this weird show four squared or something with these weird characters called the doo-ops one has one single earring in “its” ear I don’t even know what a doo op is but they look like sesame street characters on crack