Floppy Noodle Bones

by The Momma on April 18, 2011

It’s become apparent recently that the Noodle’s nickname is somewhat more appropriate for the toddler years than we might have thought. See, when a full blown tantrum is to be had, the kid has a way of making all his bones disappear, to turn himself into a floppy noodle.

I’m fully that parent who, as long as we’re not in the way of danger or other people, will gladly let my kid flail about in the middle of a tantrum. But when you’re in the middle of, oh, say, a parking lot? Or perhaps the road? It’s not really advisable to just leave your child to flop around boneless.

But the kid seems to have perfected the noodle-bones in his shoulders–he’ll wait until I’ve picked him up and then BOOM! No bones. And he goes slipping through my hands.

Lovely, this tantrum stage.

Luckily, I’m perfecting my noodle carry–which, come to think of it, is somewhat like carrying a sack of potatoes, or flour. You either hike the kid under an arm, or over a shoulder. We both look ridiculous, but better than letting him get run over in a parking lot.

I’m hoping at some point after the toddler years, the noodle bones phenomenon stops happening so often though. I much prefer when the Noodle is a nickname for his sweet times, not his tantrum times.

Anubis April 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

The tantrums suck but they can actually be a form or free entertainment. Usually when the kid has a tantrum at home in say on the tile kitchen I go for misdirection. I pick him up move him to the carpet and say. “You may continue” and then walk away. The look of confusion is priceless. Then of course he goes back to the tantrum (maybe because he’s pissed that I played him yet again).

The Daddy April 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

I like the “you may continue” option. Kind of a freebie extra mindgame to play with the kid, and get some enjoyment out of an otherwise obnoxious situation to boot. Usually I just laugh and walk away.

Perpetual Breadcrumbs April 18, 2011 at 9:50 am

E has perfected the opposite of noodle bones, which is the log role. The kid will just stiffen up, glue is arms to his sides, and then just resist any attempt to pick him up.

It’s phenomenal if you can get past the fact that it annoys the crap out of you. :)

The Daddy April 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

I would prefer the log role, I think. He often dissolves his bones into noodles as I’m trying to pick him up and take him somewhere, or take him away from something. If he was a solid rock, I think that might make it easier. For our kid anyway.

Alexis April 19, 2011 at 4:48 am

We do “stiff and sticky” or “boneless.” Either are excruciating. Stiff and sticky is a fave when getting in the car seat….completely rigid holding herself pilate style at an angle to the car seat so you have to get her in there without actually snapping her spine…ah the joys.

I find “is that all you’ve got?” to be a good tantrum stopper. I mean come on now, my Grandma can pitch a better fit than that…. :)

kate April 19, 2011 at 8:38 am

This one made me laugh because Beckett used to do the exact same thing when the tantrum-stage first hit. She could somehow manage to dislocate her arms from their shoulder sockets, go completely limp and then inevitably fall to the floor. After a significant drop a time or two – she kind of got the hint that there were other tantrums methods that were less dangerous. And, then there is the rigid board that happens when it carseat time (just like Alexis said). It’s incredible how strong a 35 pound child can be.

Hang in there – it does get better. or – Well, they find new methods of trying to get what they want! :)

shasta April 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

We don’t get the flail, we get the slow tantrum from Mittens. She’ll move to a safe location, slowly lay down on the floor, and then whine. A for effort, I guess.