Creative Feeding Techniques

by The Daddy on June 22, 2011

At this point, it’s whatever it takes. The kid eats well, compared to the horror stories we’ve heard. He really does. Lately, it’s just more on HIS terms than anything else. He’s happy to graze, or eat a ton during one or two meals, but dinner is another story altogether. So…we get creative. The Daddy has more creativity in this regard, but The Momma has better…judgment.

TechyDad June 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’ve found that sometimes naming things different can help. One of the big helps with this was actually allergy medicine that JSL takes. For some reason, despite his hatred for medicine, he loves taking vitamins. So his purple, chewable Claritin became “purple vitamins.” (The key was swearing NHL to secrecy so he wouldn’t blab to his younger brother.)

On the food front, I’ve also tried hiding sneaky veggies into the food with mixed success. They didn’t spot the pumpkin in my homemade mac & cheese, but they still rejected it because it wasn’t the boxed stuff. Maybe next time I’ll add some pumpkin to the boxed mix.

Phil June 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

Awesome method, plus the food can absorb other various minerals and nutrients from the floor.

Excellent site, btw!

Mimi June 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

As long as he’s eating, I think grazing is a great idea!

Kristl Story June 22, 2011 at 5:24 pm

You made me laugh! stumbled!

Tracie June 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

That is pretty hilarious!

My daughter went through a phase for about a year when she ate really well during the day, but not so much at dinner. She finally came out of it….but dinner is still her smallest meal of the day.

Sarah June 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Awesome!

DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman June 29, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I love it!

My 18-month old niece generally will eat what her parents feed to her…AFTER she goes rather dramatic on them and acts like they are trying to poison her. And then she realizes she actually likes whatever it is they are introducing to her. As the aunt, I think it is hysterical. My sister would probably disagree with me for some reason… :)

*stumbled*