You’re Not the Boss of Me

by The Momma on February 27, 2012

“Mommy sit THERE.”

“No Mommy, not there, THERE.”

“Mommy, DIS way.”

“Not dat way, DIS way.”

As the Noodle has gained more language skills, increased his stubbornness, and, yes, gotten older, he has shown a new skill that I, for one, am not a fan of:

He’s one bossy little guy.

Seriously, EVERYTHING lately gets commands. Do dis, do dat, go DIS way, sit there, oh, and by the way NOW. And it takes everything in me some days to not just yell, “YOU’RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME LITTLE DUDE.”

(I know, how grown up of me, huh?)

It’s just a passing whim, of course. I’m the adult, he’s the kid. I have to teach him how to appropriately act, and part of that is by reacting appropriately. And yelling and going “la-la-la, I’m not listening to you!” isn’t really appropriate. But man, sometimes that’s really my gut reaction. One I tamp down, but a gut reaction nonetheless.

This being a mom of a toddler thing is tough sometimes. Sometimes I don’t WANT to put his needs first. Sometimes I don’t WANT to keep giving of myself and my time and my energy. Sometimes I don’t WANT to measure my responses, or think of what I’m teaching him, or take a deep breath before speaking. Sometimes I don’t want to sit where HE wants me to sit, or watch what HE wants to watch, or pick him “uppio mommy,” or play zoom cars or whatever thing it is that he’s demanding of me at that moment. Sometimes, I want to be the very selfish, very self-absorbed me that I was allowed to be before he got here.

Sometimes, *I* want to be the boss of me.

Reading (and chickens) February 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Toddler Lumbergh is SO BRILLIANT.

Lori Ferguson February 28, 2012 at 6:00 am

So funny.

Our kids are grown – but I now work for my son.

He’s still telling me what to do!

LOL

Rick February 28, 2012 at 6:40 am

I can totally relate. My son does this all the time. Sometimes I also want to be the boss of me. Great read!

TechyDad February 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

Our little guy had some severe speech problems. Therapy cleared that up, but there are times when we wish it hadn’t. Since he’s begun talking clearly, we’ve come to realize just how rude and bossy he can be! Of course, some of it might be imitating his older brother. Two bossy kids in the house can be quite the challenge.

Yes, we shoot them down – in the parental sense – when they get bossy, but they’re kids so they’re constantly testing those boundaries.

beta dad February 29, 2012 at 1:06 am

Same thing going on over here, except we’ve got two of ‘em!

melanie Juneau March 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

Two year olds are discovering their sense of self, independant from mom. Actually, it is the well loved toddler who is trusting enough to defy or order around the big person in their lives who feeds, clothes protects and nurtures them. Such behaviour, in a sense, is an honour. If I kept these facts in the back of my mind, I did not panic and over react. Plus, one of my mottos- THIS TOO WILL PASS.( If I come across as a know-it-l, forgive me but mothering has been my major occupation for 32 years. – melanie. I LOVE your author voice.